Wednesday, May 21, 2014

The Wonder of Worship

“It is beautiful to contemplate the nature of deity and to bask in His glory. This is really what worship is -- the adoring response of the creature to the infinite majesty of God.

While it presupposes submission to Him, worship, in its highest sense, is not supplication for needs, or even thanksgiving for blessings, but "the occupation of the soul with God Himself." Whatever the means -- preaching and hearing of the Word, celebration of the sacraments, singing of hymns, offering of prayers, quiet meditation -- the end of it all is the pure joy of magnifying the One who alone is worthy”.    Words by Robert E. Coleman

OK, there is not much more that I can add than to say that these words seem to really resonate with me.  So often – almost always – I forget to get lost in the wonder of the infinite majesty of God.  Why?  Why is it so easy to forget?  Is it because of all the distractions, the life events going on around us all the time?  Is it our preoccupation with “me” things?

Somehow I need to find a way to distance myself from the “things of life” and start spending much more time being preoccupied with the “things of God”. 

“LORD, you are the one whom I want to be occupied with.  I just don’t know how to make that happen.  Will you help me learn?  Will you help me find a way to excise out all the junk and distractions of my life and fill me with You?”  

Yes, I believe you will.

No comments: