Friday, November 21, 2014

The Pressure Cooker

It has been quite a run up to this week.  The pressure has been building for the last 5 weeks for a project we are doing at one of the local timber mills owned by a national timber supplier.  We have two weeks to go and a LOT of work to get completed during the Thanksgiving holiday season. 

As the pressure builds I’m finding that tempers get a little shorter and decisions are made much too quickly resulting in some regrettable decisions.  It is hard to slow everyone down enough to not slow production but to allow for better decision making.

My crew is 75 miles away working in a very noisy environment.  Phones ringing are not heard well with ear plugs inserted, logs clashing with the machinery and all the noise it generates.  Email works but I don’t want them checking it too often…work needs to get done.

I sit here in a somewhat quiet office and fret!  I have confidence in my crew and in their ability to get the work done but I’m nervous with their handling of the pressure and the resultant decisions.

Time to pray.  Well, I have been since the project started.  Time to pray again I guess.  Perhaps God likes to hear my voice…that is the conclusion I have come to.  Are you listening?

No comments: