Thursday, November 20, 2014

You Alone Are My Hearts Desire

During my hour long commute to work this morning I found myself humming and singing the words to a song we sing at church – “You Alone Are My Hearts Desire”.  This in itself is not too unusual since I regularly make the drive with the radio off.  What was so disturbing is the images that were flashing through my mind as I sang the song.  A new sports car, tools, play things, even a skimpily clothed woman.  These are not the images you would expect while singing a praise song.  The words of the song say, “You alone are my hearts desire and I long to worship you”.  Are these the things I long to worship?  Heaven forbid that they are!

I spent the remainder of my drive asking for forgiveness and making some feeble attempts at cleansing my mind.  The big problem for me is that once some of these images are seen they cannot be unseen.  Where is the “reset” button!

Father, please forgive me.  Forgive me Lord, well, for being me.  Not the me you want me to be but the me “I” sometimes want me to be.  Help me change and desire to be the me YOU want me to be.

No comments: