Monday, August 16, 2010

‘What is stirring in me as I pray? Am I consoled, troubled, left cold? I imagine Jesus himself standing or sitting at my side, and share my feelings with him’.    

This quote is from one of my favorite websites – Sacred Space – it is part of today’s prayer.   What struck me so much today was the ‘Am I left cold?’

Some days that is exactly how I feel after spending time in prayer.  It’s like my prayers for the moment have fallen, deflated, to the floor. My heart feels heavy and there does not seem to be as much joy in my life as there should be. 

This dear Irish monk continues by suggesting envisioning Jesus standing or sitting at my side.  Once I do that, it is hard not to cut quickly to what really is bothering me and stop dancing around.  Why do I feel the need to clutter up my prayers with all this non-essential stuff? 

My wife often complains that I don’t talk, that I use too few words, even grunts and groans to communicate with her.  She, on the other hand, sometimes has difficulty in stopping.  Sometimes it is rapid fire, staccato bursts that seem to go on much longer than what I want to listen to.  How different we are.  At the same time, she can be incredibly concise and pointed in her words.

Lord, help me to share what I really feel – with you!  Help me to be guarded and considerate with my words when others are present.  Bless me today, Lord, for I truly need it.

No comments: