Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day at Rock Prairie

I asked my wife what she wanted for Mothers day this year and she replied with this question: 'Can I have anything I want'? Yes Dear, anything you want. This is your day. 'I don't want to go to church. I need some time away from people!'  

She chose to spend the day at our home on Rock Prairie. Breakfast out at the local (only) restaurant with all the other Rock Prairieites. We, of course, went in blue jeans, our normal dress code, and felt somewhat over dressed. I didn't have any suspenders on and she didn't have her hair up in honeybun or whatever they call that now days.

After breakfast we went shopping. Well, we went up to the old Barn looking for some dogwood trees. Her (our) children had given her some funds to purchase a tree or two. They had a lot of trees but not the one she was looking for. So we packed it up and started for home discouraged a little. Then we took off for the next town down the Oregon Trail about 20 miles away. As we drove down the highway I mentioned that this is one of my favorite roads to travel. It goes through a lot of farms and follows a river for a good while. Green, slow, peaceful.  I really love this drive.

After about 20 minutes of this most of her discouragement was ebbing away. Walking through the nursery and touching all the plants seemed to heal whatever was bothering her. She was smiling. Then she said to the clerk, 'I want this one...and this one...oh, and that one. WHAT? All I could see was WORK coming.  I mean we live in Rock Prairie...the name fits.

We brought the trees home and started to work...how do you keep the mole from eating the new roots? Ah! We planted them in chicken wire baskets set in the ground. Hope it works. Some how it just takes dirt under her finger nails to make the couds go away. She spent the whole day working at planting trees and other items in the yard as well as making a few modification to the chicken coops in the back. At one time I caught her just sitting in the middle of the chicken coop playing with the two new turkey chicks. She was actually lying down in the hay letting them climb on her - giggling all the while. What ever it takes for those smiles! I love it. 

Me? I went in and cleaned up the kitchen, washed the dishes, thought about doing some laundry (not) and settled in my easy chair with a cold soda. It was turning out to be a good day at Rock Prairie.

No comments: