Friday, January 30, 2015

Two of Me

I am working my way through a paper by David Wilkerson.  Yes, that David Wilkerson, the author of “The Cross and The Switchblade”.   And it is quite amazing – it addresses the issue that seems to be front and center in my own life right now.  The struggle that is within me and within you if you are honest about your life.

This is how he starts his paper:   I am a strange creature with two opposing minds in one body. 

Two distinct life forces in me keep trying to control my actions. 

There are things about myself that scare me. Things like a great inner need that can't be explained. Like the constant need for love and fulfillment. Also, those subtle desires that surface on occasion, making me lust for experiences that are contrary to my better nature.

I can't explain why I am such a dual person when it comes to right and wrong. The evil that I hate is always present in me. The good and moral desires are there too, keeping my mind in constant turmoil. It is not an every day, all day long battle, but the evil, at times, tries to overpower me.

Just when I think I've got my act together, things fall apart, and once again I am doing things I really don't want to do.

WOW.  This nails me to a tee!  I knew that when I took on trying to put in words what is going on within me that it would be a journey.  I’m glad to have David to walk with me as I sort out this mess and try to put it in words, make it concrete and not ethereal, make it a known not fiction. 

You see, for me, I like to know what I believe and further, I like to know why I believe what I believe.   And, I like to know how I arrived at that belief.  On what is it based and where did that basis come from.  Who is the greatest influence on what I believe and why do I trust them.  Well, you get the picture.  I’m guessing that this could be a years long journey.  Come along with me and enjoy.

No comments: